Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I'm Just A Guy...


DISCLAIMER: The views expressed below are my personal thoughts and do not necessarily apply to a group as a whole...that is unless they want to. And guys, if you don't agree with whatever I'm going to say, please don't beat me up. And if you do agree with me...still, please don't beat me up!!

In retrospect, I guess I just have myself to blame for bringing this upon myself. With a blogroll in which seven out of ten bloggers are female, plus that I'm more inclined to read blogs put up by girls (not really my fault...the female mind always did intrigue me more!!) it was inevitable. And I thought, well, considering I have an opinion on everything...why don't express it this time as well. It all started with the posts. Posts where the subject of guys would crop up.....we were the bad guys, the people with no emotions, some even said we had no hearts, that we didn't belong in a civilized world, we couldn't give or command respect, we lived under illusions that we were "knights" and so on. Firstly, let me tell you this...girls, you are right. I know I could get butchered by the guys for this but it's true. Of the ten things that you think are wrong with us, all of us have at least eight of them genetically engraved onto our DNA. So why does it bother me, if I'm already submitting to the fact that it is true? Simple, because I'm a guy, I'm one of them, and then I'm really not....actually lots of us are not, but we live double lives divided between the "cliche' guy" definition and who we really are...just because of the reasoning that you belong with the majority unless you can prove otherwise.

So who are we? We are the guys who woke up one day and thought that maybe there was something wrong with us, something on which all of your accusations could be based upon...and we ventured out to find what that was and to change it. We were going against every natural instinct of ours, we were going against "the tribe"...but we were just getting bloody tired of being ridiculed all along. So we tried. We were just as curious as the others about you when we first saw you, but we recognized the fact that ogling at your cleavage was not the way to express that. We did have sex on our minds, but then we also knew that it was not necessary to express that every time you're around. We were brought up in a world that said to us "real men don't have emotions"....but we didn't accept that and poked around inside, and we discovered that we have them just as much, if not more, than you do. We had enough reasoning to establish that remarking about how great your ass looks is not a great way to start a conversation. The thought of being in your bad books is really discomforting for us, so we think and we think and we think again in every single thing involving you so that no bad vibes are there. We respect your intelligence as much as we admire your physical attributes (and we know enough not to be vocal about it!!). We, like any other guy, could get possessive about our women, but we wouldn't ever let it show in front of you...maybe we'd punch holes in the bedroom wall when you'd go out for drinks with that handsome guy from work, but we wouldn't let you know how possessive we are. We knew that Knights are of no use when there are no damsels to be rescued. That's us. Us?? Am I one of these guys? I know it was pretty easy for me to acknowledge that this is my space and take some liberties....so I won't judge that, the "we" is just representative of those who belong. All I'll say is that there are guys like that, who want to change the way the equation of the sexes stands...and you know that just as well as we do. And I don't know what exactly I'm hoping to achieve by writing all of this, but I do feel the need to let the "voices in my head" out once in a while...so I'm just doing that. The main idea here is just that...there's good with the bad...so just don't give up on us yet. We're trying to change. Honest...not a cliche' guy "honest", "honest" the way you want it to mean. ;)

11 Comments:

Sur said...

lol...sry....i guess its a wrong way to begin a comment, byt still.... really 'enjoyed' readin ur post... i'm readin this 20th time but still dont hv or still don kno wat to say!
hope yu don get beaten up by the others!!lol...n sry again!!
i kno its the dumb-est comment yu ever got!! n i hv no idea why i'm still typin..so i think i shud stop!!lol

Unknown said...

Hahahaha.. nice little post Kenny ;)

I shall refrain from commenting any further on this.

Bubbly Vodka said...

Lol. Nice post. We know the kind of your kind, and that somethings remain the way they are forever.

arunima said...

hmmmmm ok that honest....
it was a fun read!!
n if it helps... i believe what u said... i dun believe all guys r like that!!!

silly billy:) said...

hey this ones real cute..its like an attempt to put guys(who are often criticised for things that are apparently not always true)in a sympathetic light..n very frankly it worked..i do believe that guys have emotions and do feel bad when they are unnecesarily accused..but i guess we have reasons..and i do think it can't and shouldn't be generalised..i'l definitely be more sensitive now onwards..:)
good one...

Sam said...

Aww..nice!! And with what i've seen, guys are more emtional than females, its just much harder for them coming out with it, thanks to your stupid notions that you cant be crying nad stuff.. T
Though I personally get a lil bugged if a guy behaves all sissy.. but them probably we've also got used to the chivalry!! :)
Great post dude!! :D

Preeti Shenoy said...

Kenny,
That was a really honest post!
Of course some guys believe in REVELING in the fact that they ARE possessive--May be because they know what really is on the other guy's mind, unlike some gullible women!;)
And hey--since you have enabled comment moderation can you please turn off word verification?It makes commenting so much easier--Haveing both on is a bit pointless, as the purpose of both is to ill spam and trolls--don't you think?
Cheers
Preeti (Just a mother of two)

Samster said...

i guess i would be one of those people who have given up on the 'tribe' so to speak...you see one post cant really erase 20 years of experience (okie, im exaggerating..i didnt crawl outta my pram and start making notes)...but at least it opened up a wee bit of my mind to the possibility that maybe (maybe) you're right. okie, i know you're right but when the majority invades your life we tend to forget bout the small quantity of people who may think differently. basically... i guess i liked it but it did make me uncomfortable ...simply cuz i now have to consciously know that i am technically not allowed to give up. pfft!

Kenny said...

@ Sur: Actually I find it really amusing that you say you read it 20 times...and you still felt like "lol". ;) Definitely NOT the dumbest comment.

@ J: Thanks dude...n just as well that u refrained...we guys should keep some things to ourselves eh??

@ Bubbly Vodka: My kind..is that the good kind or the bad kind?? Did i mention i can get really curious?

@Arunima: And we have a believer!! N it wasn't totally honest but the best I could muster up...honest!! ;)

@Silly Billy: That was the attempt..n am glad it did work!!
Btw I really like the "rhyme thing" you've got going in ur name... :)

@Sam: Hey!! You weren't supposed to say that out loud..now our jig's up!! :P
P.s: Hope it didn't get too sissy!!

@Ps: Reveling in being possessive...not my thing but i can't be accountable for every guy right? But we do have a knack of being able to tune into each other's minds.
N thanks for letting me know abt the comments setting..i didn't even realize it till you told me!!

@Go-Phish: Actually, nobody really gives up....and technically it's not like you're not allowed to give up, i haven't written up any rule books. But maybe (maybe) i could be right...maybe it's not the right thing to do to give up.

Sam said...

Yay!! You replied!! :D

Bubbly Vodka said...

Haha. Your kind is just your kind. It's pretty difficult to categorize everything into good and bad you know.