Friday, September 28, 2007

Not Ready To Make Nice..

"Honesty is the best policy."
:- Ancient saying, now an endangered school of thought...

It's not easy doing the right thing in this world today...and in these times we live in. You must be wondering what brought me about to pass that judgement so I should get to it. This was about ten days back. I'm on my way back home, I get off at the Metro Station and while on my way to the elevator I spot a wallet lying near the seating area. So putting up my most inconspicuous look, I pick it up and mosey through it. 175 bucks, an ID card of some college, Bus pass and a Metro card. Now just like in one of the cartoons, my good and bad side are whispering out in my ear. Finally I decide to return the wallet. Mainly because im a good guy....and the girl in the pic of the ID was kinda cute. No, wait...THAT was the main reason, i'm no good guy or anything. So I call up the number given and tell her that i'm depositing her wallet with the metro people. The Metro guys take it after interrogating me like i'd stolen the thing, not returning it and making me write out a statement that i'd taken nothing from the wallet...so much for trust!!

Later on in the evening I get a call...it's the "wallet" girl's dad. And he asks me if I took out a few hundred bucks out before I'd returned the thing. Apparently, someone had gone through the wallet before i'd got to it. That's where I lost it. He tried to salvage the situation by saying something about it was nice to have honest people around but the damage was done. The whole feeling of having done the right thing for once had totally disappeared. And hence the observation about how tough it is to do the right thing out here. The next time anything like this happens i'm taking the money and treating myself. Or maybe I won't. The whole thing about what goes around comes around might hold true...even though I seriously doubt it.

0 Comments: